Treatment of Restless Leg Syndrome - Avoid Xenoestrogens, Avoid Phytoestrogens, Take Progesterone, Take Magnesium and Vitamin B
by Peter Eckhart, MD
Take Progesterone and avoid Estrogens, Take Vitamin B in the morning, and Magnesium for the Restless Leg Syndrome
Summary for Treatment and Cure of Restless Leg Syndrome
Cause of Restless Leg Syndrome
- Chemical or Plant estrogens on the skin causes estrogen dominance or too much estrogen.
- Estrogen dominance causes Magnesium Deficiency and Vitamin B Deficiency.
- Magnesium Deficiency tenses up the leg muscles and makes the muscles twitch.
- Vitamin B deficiency can cause a temporary nerve disease and makes the skin “crawl” or “burn”. For example, Pellagra see here.
Restless Leg Syndrome Treatment Summary
- Take Vitamin B-100 in the morning. Vitamin B is water soluble so there is no danger of overdose. Do not take Vitamin B at night to avoid vivid dreams.
- Take 200-400 mg/day of Magnesium Chelate (absorption is 40%). Magnesium Glycinate is good. Too much Magnesium though leads to loose stools. Ionic or colloidal magnesium may also be good. Do NOT take Magnesium Oxide (absorption is 4%).
- Take topical Natural Progesterone 20-40 mg/day to counter the effects of estrogen dominance. Once the estrogen dominance is gone Vitamin B and Magnesium deficiencies will go away.
- Avoid Xenoestrogens (chemical estrogens). Avoid Phytoestrogens (plant estrogens). Anything put on the skin is 10 times the oral dose. This is because anything put on the mouth is 90% filtered by the liver. However, anything put on the skin goes directly into the body. So, anything on the skin is 10 times in potency of what goes in the mouth. For example, a 20 mg/day skin topical Natural Progesterone dose is equivalent to a 200 mg/day ORAL Natural progesterone dose.
The solution to the disease is to take progesterone and avoid estrogen intake. Estrogen may come in the form of birth control pills, hormone replacement, phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) or synthetic chemicals that mimic or pretend to be estrogen. Progesterone opposes the effect of estrogen and resensitizes the body's estrogen receptors back to normal. Restless Leg Syndrome resolves. Those patients that are really good at avoiding xenoestrogens many times do not need Natural Progesterone after a while. Anything that is put on the skin is 10 times the potency of what goes in the mouth.
Take Topical Natural Progesterone
- Use a progesterone cream with 500-1000 mg of natural progesterone per ounce.
- For the first 3-5 months use one or two ounces of cream per month; this is about one half (1/2) or one (1) teaspoon per day. This comes out to 40 mg/day of Natural Progesterone.
- Rub the cream on any part of the body that has good circulation before bed time - beasts, neck, chest, legs, arms, thighs, soles of the feet, or back.
- Some patients can avoid xenoestrogens and do not need Natural Progesterone after a while. Other patients decide that they want to use progesterone for maintenance at 20 mg/day because they find it impossible to avoid all xenoestrogens.
- IF you do NOT want to conceive you may use progesterone whenever you do NOT have a period. Otherwise, apply the cream during the two weeks before menses for 14 days, if premenopausal. Apply the cream for 21 days with 7 days off if post menopausal and do not have a period.
- Use a saliva test to monitor progesterone levels; not a blood test, ONLY IF you feel no different taking Natural Progesterone.
- If you have a lot of body fat, the progesterone must be soaked up by the body fat first before getting to your body. You may need a higher dose to treat Restless Leg Syndrome.
Avoid Synthetic Prescriptions Estrogens
- Cut the dosage of hormone replacement estrogen immediately to 1/2 of your normal dose while taking progesterone.
- DISCONTINUE estrogen supplements altogether over a period of 3-4 months.
- DO NOT stop estrogen SUDDENLY or HOT FLASHES will be the result.
- Do not use birth control pills; use a condom without spermicide instead.
- HOT PLASTIC in contact with food is VERY
BAD!!!Use glass or ceramics whenever possible to store food and water. Heat up your
food using a glass or ceramic bowl covered with dish. When plastic is heated, it diffuses very rapidly into food.
- Use a simple detergent with less chemicals;
Nature Clean (802) 254-7605 is a good choice for both laundry detergent and dish washing detergent. Natural Value
found at Whole Foods Market may be another good choice. Detergent cannot be fully rinsed from your clothes and
is easily absorbed through the skin. This is an easy change to make.
- Use Condoms without spermicide for Birth
control instead of Birth Control Pills. Use Natural Progesterone instead of HRT.
- In general, the hormones taken orally are
first pass metabolized by the liver 80%-90%. However, when these hormones are applied to the skin, the hormones
are directly absorbed by the body. Thus, any skin dose is 10 times that of an oral dose. The vast majority of skin
lotions and creams use the parabens as a preservative. Avoid them at all costs. Instead apply a vegetable oil right
after a shower to hydrate the skin and lock in the moisture. Check
your natural progesterone cream and make sure it does not contain Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Butyl Paraben,
or any of the Parabens. Do Not use Phenoxyethanol. Do NOT use a quartenary ammonium chloride. These are estrogenic.
- Use natural pest control not pesticides.
- Don't use herbicides; use a cup of salt
in a gallon of vinegar.
The very important
changes to make are do NOT eat HOT plastic. Change your laundry
detergent, no fabric softener, change your lotions, soaps, shampoos, and
makeup. Anything on the skin is 10 times the oral dose.
- Avoid Synthetic Chemicals - Read Healthy Living in a Toxic World by Cynthia Fincher Ph.D.
- Simple Soap is a safe choice for shampoo
and a body soap.
- Buy hormone free meats to eat.
- Buy "Organic" produce, produce
grown without pesticides, herbicides or synthetic fertilizer or hormones.
Avoid Selected Dangerous Phytoestrogens
- Avoid Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Chocolate and
- Avoid Sunflower Seeds, Red Clover Tea,
Camomille Tea, Alfalfa Sprouts, Queen Anne's lace (wild carrot), Pomegranate, Fennel,Licorice, Red Clover, Yucca,
Hops (Beer) and Motherwort.
- Avoid Phytoestrogens that block and interfere
with the action of Natural Progesterone. Avoid Bloodroot, Ocotillo, Mandrake, Oregano, Damiana, Pennyroyal, Verbenna,
Nutmeg, Tumeric, Yucca, Thyme, Calamus rt., Red Clover, Goldenseal, Licorice, Mistletoe, Cumin, Fennel, Camomille,
- Some physicians believe that foods containing
methylxanthines should also be avoided. These foods are coffee, chocolate, tea and colas.
- Any of the herbs to create Breast Enlargement or Miscarriage is by definition estrogenic. Do NOT use these herbs that cause Miscarriage or Breast Enlargement.
Readjust your Thyroid Medication
- Cut back the dosage of your thyroid medication,
if your T3 and T4 is normal by laboratory measurements.
- After 2-3 months of progesterone use, it
may be possible to completely eliminate your thyroid supplements.
Do Not Take Synthetic Progestins
- Do not take synthetic progestins such as
Megestrol and Provera.
- These synthetic progestins will compete
with progesterone receptor binding sites and compete with progesterone rendering progesterone useless.
- Immediately lower the dose by 1/2 and lower
it more the second month. By the third month the progestin may be completely stopped.
If No effect is felt after 10 days of
Use - Take a saliva progesterone test
- Less than 1% of patients do NOT absorb progesterone
well through the skin.
- Oral progesterone or sublingual progesterone
(prescription) may be taken 200-400 mg/day or Maca 4 capsules/day (each capsule approx. 500 mg) instead.
- Make sure the progesterone cream is formulated
- Avoid xenoestrogens.
The Bottom Line
Summary - Cause of Restless Leg Syndrome
- Too much external estrogens (estrogen dominance).
- Creates Vitamin B Deficiency and Magnesium Deficiency.
- Creates Twitching Legs (muscle tensing – Magnesium Deficiency).
- Creates Temporary “burning” and “crawling” Legs (nerve disease – Vitamin B deficiency)
Summary - Treatment of Restless Leg Syndrome
- Avoid Xenoestrogens (chemical estrogens) and Avoid Plantestrogen (plant estrogens) especially on the skin. Skin dose is 10 times potency of oral dose.
- Take Vitamin B in the morning. Take a chelated Magnesium or colloidal Magnesium 200-400 mg/day.
- Take topical Natural Progesterone 20-40 mg/day to counteract the estrogen dominance.
- After avoiding too much estrogen, you may NOT need topical Natural Progesterone OR Vitamin B OR Magnesium. After correcting the estrogen dominance the Vitamin B or Magnesium deficiency will correct itself.
Progesterone Liked by Oprah Winfrey
Progesterone Liked by Suzanne Somers
Restless Leg Syndrom No More
I don't know if you remember me - but I called you several years ago complaining of Restless Leg Syndrome. You listened and responded that you thought it was caused by the toiletries that I put on the skin. So I simplified my lifestyle getting rid of the "junk" that I put on my skin, AND my Restless Leg Syndrome was gone! Now, I bike cross country.
I used some of your product just because I thought that Natural Progesterone would be good for me and my Restless Leg Syndrom disappeared!